Thursday, April 3, 2014

Wonky, Wonky Music is Complete!


Wonky, Wonky Music is finally complete!

I used the Bow Tie Required pattern by Lee of Freshly Pieced.  I loved this pattern the first time I saw it.  When I happened upon Andover's Music collection,  I knew the pairing would be perfect.  I made the quilt for my husband, who used to be a professional drummer.  That is why I put the main print in three blocks down the middle and featured the drum set.

I wanted to use all the fabrics in the colorway, so instead of using a single fabric for the bow ties, I used the orange and the red.  The background is Kona Silver.  I originally chose Kona Khaki but when it came in the mail I realized it was too yellow.  I used my Kona color card, too.  From that I have learned to order fat quarters based on the color cards and then audition them with the other fabrics.  I realize Kona Snow would have worked, too, (I used Snow for the Improv Monitor Cover) but I am happy I chose Silver.




I planned to use Kaufman's Spot On Steel for the back.  What I didn't realize was that I was going to have all these bow ties left over!  Of course, I had to use them so I decided to make them into a grid.  I love the pattern they make.  You can't tell they were originally bow ties!  The Spot On fabric clashed with the bow ties.  After looking at them, they just screamed Ash from Carolyn Friedlander's Botanics.  I thought the light gray binding would clash with the back but I think it gives it a nice frame.  What about those orange stripes, you ask?  I didn't buy enough of the Ash, so I had to do some quick improv piecing!  I think Ms. Denyse Schmidt would be proud of that!




I quilted it myself at Laurena's!  I was inspired by Lee's quilting on Bow Tie Required.  Her quilting is great -- she did not overlap any lines!  I was not as adventurous.  I overlapped my lines but I really love the effect.  I just wanted it to look improvisational, like jazz!  In addition, because drumming runs in the family, I quilted in the initials of DH's father, uncle and brother.  Don't look too hard for the initials, they are not in this shot!

Now DH has a quilt of his own.  I can't believe it took me so long to make one for him, but I just needed the right inspiration!  Maybe now he'll get those buttons sewn on his clothing he's been asking about.  Or, maybe not!

See what else is going on at Crazy Mom Quilts this Finish it Up Friday!

5 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

WOW! This quilt is stunning! Love both the front and back design of the quilt. Your quilting is great. You know what if you see Angela's book she has both lines crossing over and not crossing over squares FMQ. It goes really well with the quilt design.

Now get on to the buttons ;).

ipatchandquilt said...

Gorgeous quilt! YAY for pieced backs too!
Esther

Sfredette said...

Yay for a finish!!! And I completely agree about the color card - it gets you close, but the swatches are just not big enough to really get a feel for how it'll play with others. Also, being surrounded by similar colors distorts the appearance. But this turned out great! Can't wait to see it in person. :D

alidiza said...

This came out beautifully, I know it will be loved!!! So happy to see it finished:-)

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Great finish! I have had my eye on this pattern as well. The colors you've used are great! Love the back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...