Tuesday, March 18, 2014

It's Curtains for Me!

Unikko valance - not yet sewn

I am a Marimekko fanatic.  I especially love the Unikko pattern.  I am decorating my kitchen in yellow and gray so how happy was I when I came across this fabric at the flagship store in NYC?  I am using the smaller print for the valance and the medium-sized print for cafe curtains.


Grommet practice on muslin

I went through three ideas.  First, I was going to make a pocket rod.  However, the fabric is fairly stiff  (even after washing) so it would be difficult to keep the curtains open.  DH suggested ties to keep the curtains open, but I didn't like that idea.  The next idea was clips, but that didn't look good, either.  The frame of the bottom window showed above the curtain bar -- it looked messy!  Finally, we decided on grommets.  I thought grommets wouldn't look right, but they look great and they were fairly easy to install.

I love this selvedge.  I'm leaving it!

After the figurin', cuttin' and pressin', I am going to sew the lining in.  I am not cutting off the selvedge.  I think it looks neat!

To sew the lining in, I'm following this tutorial I found online:  http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2011/10/12/how-to-make-professional-lined-curtain-panels

Sew what else is going on this WIP Wednesday?

1 comment:

MalinisQuilts said...

I am loving this print. You have a great taste in color and fashion.

I clicked on the link, I do like both the yellow and the big red print long gown. Just gorgeous.

Can't wait to see how your curtains turn out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...